Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Why Hire an Attorney for Child Support Problems

Even though you and your spouse are no longer married, your children still need to be cared for. You may have the responsibility of their daily care; however, your ex-spouse still needs to provide for the children financially. On the other hand, you could be the parent who is obligated to provide financially each month, and you may be having difficulty. That is why an attorney may be required to gain adequate child support for your kids.

Primary Custodian

If you have primary custody of the children, you need to be able to provide food, clothing, shelter, and healthcare for them. Your ex is responsible for helping you provide those necessities through monthly monetary payments. If your ex does not meet that financial obligation, your attorney can help you find a way to make that happen. In some cases, you may have to track him or her down in order to get the funds that are owed to your children.

In addition to helping you find your former spouse, your attorney is there to help you bring him or her to court in order to force the child support obligation. While there may be a very good reason for the money not being paid, there is no excuse not at least notify you and the courts of the problem at hand.

Parent Paying Child Support

Parents who are required to make payments need representation of their own. Hard times can hit anyone, and there may come a time where you are unable to make the court order payment. Rather than miss sending the money or only sending part of it, you should have your attorney contact the courts immediately. You may get a reprieve from having to pay the overwhelming finances for your children temporarily. During this time, you may be able to negotiate a new amount based on your current situation.

Even if you are on good terms with your ex-spouse, you need to have an attorney alert the courts of the problem. You may think you can work out a deal without involving a judge; however, it will not overrule what the legal system has determined you will pay. Failure to meet this judgment can result in you being held in contempt of court. This means you could face fines or even jail time. Jail time could negatively affect your visitation, custody rights, or even relocation rights.

It is important to remember that the money is for the well-being of your children. You should never withhold payment just because you are mad.

If you are the custodial parent, it is okay to be flexible if you choose. Just make sure everything is documented in case the worst should happen, and you need to sue for past payments.

When considering a Camden County child support lawyer, residents visit Kearney, Campbell & Burns. Learn more at
Article Source:

Article Source:

No comments:

Post a Comment